Flipping through The Costco Connection July 2013 magazine last night, I ran across an interesting tidbit on page 8—an image of a welder with the caption: “Debate goes on—in response to the June Debate, ‘Are U.S. manufacturing jobs still important to the economy?’” Clearly, I had missed that Debate in the June issue, so I made a bee-line to the household magazine repository to see if I could find the copy. No such luck, but I did find it online.
The Debate format features brief responses from experts to a yes-or-no question posed in the magazine. Readers (Costco members) then are encouraged to cast their votes.
According to every poll I’ve seen on the topic, the vast majority of Americans agree that U.S. manufacturing jobs are important to the economy. This poll is no different—98 percent of respondents said, “Yes.” Which leaves a mere 2 percent whose beliefs fall in line with the expert, Enrico Moretti, who answered, “No.” (more...)